Thursday, August 6, 2009

UFOs One Year at a Time: 1973

From the UFO Casebook website

The strange case of nineteen-year-old Calvin Parker, and forty-two-year-old Charles Hickson actually began a day before their famous encounter. On October 10, 1973, fifteen different people, including two policemen reported seeing a large, silver UFO slowly fly over a housing project in St. Tammany Parish, New Orleans, Louisiana. Only a scant 24 hours later, Hickson and Parker would have the scare of their lives; a frightening encounter with an eerie UFO.

The two men were both from the town of Gautier, Mississippi, and were doing some fishing in the Pascagoula River on a dark night about 9:00 P.M. They suddenly heard a type of buzzing behind them. Both men turned around to see the source of the sound, and were amazed to see a glowing, egg-shaped object with bluish lighting on its front side. The unusual craft was hovering just a few feet above the ground, and about 30 feet from the shore of the river.

To their unbelief, a door opened in the object, and three strange beings began to float just above the water straight toward them. Though the beings had legs, they did not use them, they simply floated across the river. Parker and Hickson would later describe the beings as "about five feet tall, had bullet-shaped heads without necks, slits for mouths, and where their noses or ears would be, they had thin, conical objects sticking out, like carrots from a snowman's head. They had no eyes, grey, wrinkled skin, round feet, and claw-like hands."

Hickson, frozen in fear and unbelief, was grabbed by two of these creatures, and the third one took Parker, who fainted from fright. Hickson would later relate that when the beings put their arms under his body to support him, he felt numb all over. He was then floated into a a brightly-lit room inside of the UFO. Inside this room, he floated, along with an eye-like device which examined him all over. After his ordeal, Hickson was left floating, while the beings left the room, probably to examine Parker.

Approximately 20 minutes after the ordeal had begun, it was over, and Hickson was floated back outside of the strange craft. Parker was crying, and praying on the ground. Only a moment or two later, the craft rose straight up into the air and disappeared. As the two men began to regain their composure, they were uncertain as to what they should do. Reluctant to report their harrowing experience, they felt obligated to tell someone.

Despite fearing ridicule, they telephoned Kessler Air Force Base in Biloxi. Kessler referred their problem to their local sheriff's office. Afraid of what reaction they might get from law enforcement, they opted instead to drive to their local newspaper. Finding the office closed, they decided to take their bizarre story to the sheriff after all. Naturally the sheriff felt the two men's story was some kind of hoax, and to get to the truth, he put Hickson and Parker into a room which was wired for sound, hoping that they would slip up, and reveal why they were perpetuating such a strange tale.Soon news of the event began to surface.

The local press released the story first; quickly followed by the wire services. Within a few days, the Pascagoula incident was major news all over the USA. The Aerial Phenomena Research Organization (APRO), sent University of California professor James Harder to investigate; Dr. J. Allen Hynek, representing the US Air Force, also arrived to look into the story. Harder and Hynek interviewed Hickson and Parker together. Harder hypnotized Hickson, but he became so frightened that the session had to be aborted.

The image “” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

The two abductees were encouraged to take a lie-detector test, which they both passed. Harder and Hynek, both highly respected in their professions, believed the two men's story. At a later date, Hynek stated; "There was definitely something here that was not terrestrial". In what may be a related incident, a couple of weeks after this chilling account, Coast Guardsmen and fishermen had an encounter with an underwater metallic object. This strange object had an amber light on it, and the Guard chased it in the Pascagoula River. The object was close enough to touch, but each time it was prodded with a large boat hook, it would turn off its light, move a distance away, and turn its light back on. This unusual encounter lasted about 40 minutes before the craft disappeared. The Pascagoula encounter is one of the most unusual accounts of all UFO reports.

Though the sighting and abduction involved only two witnesses, there were several other sightings of unusual flying objects on the same night. The two men have held to their story, though no earthly explanation has been offered for the strange events of the night of October, 11, 1973.


Pascagoula, Miss. (UPI) - Two shipyard workers who claimed they were hauled aboard a UFO and examined by silvery-skinned creatures with big eyes and pointed ears were taken to a military hospital Friday to be checked for radiation. Officials said Charles Hickson, 42, and Calvin Parker, 19, would make no further public statements concerning their weird tale until they had talked further with federal authorities. Both work at Walker Shipyards, where Hickson is a foreman. Neither man suffered any apparent injuries but as a precautionary measure where taken to nearby Keesler Air Force Base Hospital to checked for radiation exposure, officers said.

Jackson County Chief Deputy Barney Mathis said the men told him they were fishing from an old pier on the west bank of Pascagoula River about 7 p.m. Thursday when they noticed a strange craft about two miles away emitting a bluish haze. They said it moved closer and then appeared to hover about three or four feet above the water then:

"Three whatever-they-were came out, either floating or walking, and carried us into the ship," officers quoted Hickson as saying. "The things had big eyes. They kept us about 20 minutes, and then took us back to the pier. "The only sound they made was a buzzing-humming sound. They left in a flash."

The sheriff's office received several other calls during the night from residents of the area about sighting a strange "blue light" in the sky. Numerous UFO sightings also have been reported in many parts of the state during the past couple of weeks.

Captain Glen Ryder of the sheriff's department, who questioned both men Thursday night, said he thought at first "They were pulling my leg." "We did everything we knew to break their stories," Ryder said, "but both stories fit. If they were lying to me, they should be in Hollywood." Mathis said Hickson appeared to be a "reasonable man" and was not a heavy drinker, according to his wife and employers. Authorities said both men said they were not drinking when the incident occurred but admitted "they went to a have a drink or two after it was over."

"They had to have something to settle their nerves," said Mathis. He quoted Hickson as saying: "I was so damn scared I didn't know what it was." Officers said Parker reported he passed out when the three creatures- purportedly with pointed ears and noses and pale skin-type covering- emerged from the craft. He said he didn't regain consciousness until he'd been released back on the pier. Deputies took statements from both men and then left them together in a room with a hidden tape recorder in an effort to check out the story. Mathis said there was nothing on the tape to indicate a hoax. Hickson estimated he and Parker were inside the unidentified craft for 15 for 20 minutes. He told officers he was placed on same kind of table and examined from head to foot by what described as something like an electronic eye.


On the evening of October 11, 1973, 42-year-old Charles Hickson and 19-year-old Calvin Parker — co-workers at a shipyard — were fishing in the off a pier on the west bank of the Pascagoula River in Mississippi. While fishing at the abandoned shipyard, they heard a whirring/whizzing sound, saw flashing blue lights, and reported that a domed, football-shaped aircraft, some 100 feet across, suddenly appeared near them. The ship seemed to levitate about 14 inches above the ground.

A door opened on the ship, they said, and three creatures emerged and seized the men, floating or levitating them into the craft. Both men reported being paralyzed and numb. Parker fainted due to fright. They described the creatures as being roughly humanoid in shape, and standing about five feet tall. The creatures' skin was gray and wrinkled, and they had no eyes or mouths that the men could discern. There were three "carrot-like" growths instead - one where the nose would be on a human, the other two where ears would normally be. The beings had lobster-like claws at the ends of their arms, and they seemed to have only one leg (Hickson later described the creatures' lower bodies looking as if their legs were fused together).

On the ship, Hickson claimed that he was somehow levitated or hovered a few feet above the floor of the craft, and was examined by a mechanical eye that seemed to scan his body. Parker could not recall what had happened to him inside the craft, although later, during sessions of hypnotic regression he offered some hazy details. The men were released after about 20 minutes and the creatures levitated them back to their original position on the river bank.

Expecting only ridicule if they were to tell anyone what had happened, Hickson and Parker initially decided to keep quiet; but then, because the government might want, or ought, to know about it, they telephoned Kessler Air Force Base in Biloxi. A sergeant there told them to contact the sheriff. But uncertain about the reception their bizarre story might get from the local law, they drove to the local newspaper office to speak to a reporter. When they found the office closed, Hickson and Parker felt they had no alternative but to talk to the sheriff. The sheriff, after listening to their story, put Hickson and Parker in a room wired for sound in the belief that if the two men were left alone they would reveal their hoax; of course they did not. The local press reported their tale; the wire services picked it up; and within several days the Pascagoula Encounter was major news all over the country. The Aerial Phenomena Research Organisation (APRO), founded in 1952, sent University of California engineering professor James Harder to Mississippi to investigate; J. Allen Hynek, representing the Air Force, also arrived. Together they interviews the witnesses. Harder hypnotised Hickson but had to terminate the session when Hickson became too frightened to continue.

Hickson and Parker both subsequently passed lie detector tests. Hynek and Harder believed the two men's story. And Hynek was later quoted as saying "There was definitely something here that was not terrestrial".

The image “” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

(UFO Phenomenon at Close Sight) On October 10, 1973, fifteen different people, including two policemen reported seeing a large, silver UFO slowly fly over a housing project in St. Tammany Parish, New Orleans, Louisiana. This was just one more UFO sighting, except that on the next day another event would reach national attention, ninety miles to the East.

Mr. Charles Hickson, age 45, was raised on a farm, graduated from high school and attended junior college. He became interested in carpenter work and then cabinet making. He spent 8 years or probably more as a ship builder and ship fitter, working eventually as a supervisor. He is also a certified welder and burner. He was married and has three children and one step-child.

On the night of October 11, 1973 he went fishing with 18 years old Calvin Parker, also from the town of Gautier, Mississippi, from a pier at Shaupeter Shipyard. The place was an abandoned shipyard along the Pascagoula River, at the South Eastern tip of Mississippi. The two men intended to test some new fishing equipment, but had little success and were about to look for better place.

It was 7:00pm and the night was dark, when they first had their attention caught by a "loud zipping sound" coming from behind them. They turned around to see the source of the sound, and were amazed and also terrified to see a gray domed football shaped or egg-shaped object surrounded by a blue gloom hovering towards them. The object was estimated to have 30 to 40 feet of length, 8 to 10 feet high, "the size of a big truck" but "without any bolts, as if made in one piece." It had two windows and two blue lights at its fronts. It hovered just a few feet above the ground about forty feet from the river bank, on a junkyard covered with dismantled car carcasses.

As they watched, a hatchway opened, or appeared, and a brilliant light poured out. Moments later three strange entities floated out just above the water and straight to the men.


Though the beings had legs, they did not move them, they simply floated across the river with their legs stuck together. Later exaggerations from the media have stated that the beings had only one leg, but the witness did not state this.

Though the beings had legs, they did not move them, they simply floated across the river with their legs stuck together. Later exaggerations from the media have stated that the beings had only one leg, but the witness did not state this.

Parker and Hickson described the beings as:
"...about five feet tall, had bullet-shaped heads without necks, slits for mouths, and where their noses or ears would be, they had thin, conical objects sticking out, like carrots from a snowman's head. They had no eyes, grey, wrinkled skin, round feet, and claw-like hands."

Hickson made this statement also:

"They didn't have clothes. But they had feet shape... it was more or less a round like thing on a leg, if you'd call it a leg... Ghostlike and pale with wrinkled skin, and conical projections where nose and ears would normally be... Calvin done went hysterical on me."
The three beings approached the men at a stunning speed, two of them grabbed Hickson and he felt a stinging sensation in his left arm. When they put their arms under both sides of his body to support him he felt paralyzed and numb. He lost all feeling, including that of weight, and quickly fainted, when the two entities carried him inside the ship. Before fainting he could see the third one grabbing Parker, and the teenager also fainting with fright brought towards the object.

He was floated to a bare, brightly-lit room in the UFO's interior. He could not see where the light came from. He still could not move, although he remained conscious.

The entities placed him in a 45 degrees reclining position, still "floating” in air, and an instrument that resembled a "big eye" appeared from the UFO's wall, floated in mid-air towards to 6 inches in front of Hickson's face and scanned back and forth across his body with thoroughness, as if it were examining or photographing him. The beings turned his body from side to side several times, as if to make sure that the scanning eye can "photograph" his body entirely. The "eye" then disappeared again in the wall, where it could not be seen anymore.

At this point Hickson could not see the beings who he thought was behind him, he could not get his mouth to function. Hickson was left floating, while the beings left the room, probably to examine Parker.

This episode lasted somewhere between 15 and 40 minutes, Hickson is not at all sure about the time. Hickson was quite convinced that they went to some other room to examine Parker. Then the beings entered Hickson's line of vision again. Two of them dragged Hickson back out of the object, with his feet dragging on the ground, to where they had picked him up on the river bank and let him fall carelessly on the ground: his legs gave out and he fell. Looking up Hickson saw Parker, who was standing motionless with his arms outstretched, as if in shock.

Parker who had lapsed in and out of consciences, remembered being taken toward the ship, hearing a whistling noise and a click, then seeing the interior lights just before he was floated outside. He was left standing not being able to move, and looking out onto the river.

Hickson crawled towards Parker, who was weeping and seemed very shocked, but then he realised that he could stand. Hickson heard the "zipping sound" again and turned to see the blue flashing lights that first caught his attention. He saw the object shoot upwards and vanish at about 50 feet "in less than a second."

Hickson and Parker sat in a car for the next 45 minutes calming their shattered nerves, trying to decide what to do next. Hickson drank whiskey during this conversation in the car. As the two men began to regain their composure, they were uncertain as to what they should do. Reluctant to report their harrowing experience, they felt obligated to tell someone: they were truly convinced that the government might want, or ought, to know about what they understood as a state of the art lien invasion of our planet. Parker suggested they contact the military. So despite fearing ridicule, Hickson located a pay phone and called Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, 30 miles west of Pascagoula. A sergeant there told him that the Airforce did not handle UFO reports, and advised them to report their problem to their local sheriff's office. Afraid of what reaction they might get from law enforcement, they opted instead to drive to their local newspaper the Mississippi Press Register.

Parker who was driving got out and explained to Hickson that there was a clock in the building and he wanted to know what time it was. Finding the office closed, they decided to take their bizarre story to the sheriff after all. They called the Jackson County Sheriff's Office, led by Fred Diamond, where the deputy Captain Ryder, who took the call urged them to come in to the station and talk in person as he realised something important had happened because of the alarmed tone of their voices. They were interrogated exhaustively.

As the men were still in the Sheriff's office, a former pilot called and stated he saw a UFO at about 08:00pm near the Pascagoula River. A city former city counsellor and several other people also reported later to report their sighting.

Three different people have phoned the Sheriff's office to report their observation of a strange blue light in the area where the two men were abducted. These people remained anonymous, they were driving on the Interstate 90 a few hundred yards from the abduction's location that night.

28 years later a witness comes forward, according to the newspaper "Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal" of October 21, 2001. It even seems reasonable to think that this witness is one of the three people in the car on Route 90 as mentioned above, this time the witness gave his name.

Two days after the events, a meteorologist of Columbia reported that he had a strange radar echo the same day: He first thought it was a plane, but started to winder about that when the echo remains stationary and his radar was completely jammed moments later.

There has been another possible independent confirmation: at 9:00pm after watching TV, Larry Booth of Pascagoula got up to check the front door prior to going to bed. He noticed a huge object with red revolving lights hovering 8-10 feet over the street lamp. He thought it was an experimental craft run out of the local military base.

Five days after the Pascagoula abduction, a man reported to police that he was driving on Interstate 10 between Mobile, Alabama and Pensacola, Florida, just about sixty or seventy miles east of Pascagoula, when his pickup truck was attacked by an object from the sky and sucked inside a UFO where he was examined by six small entities.

Just a few weeks after Parker and Hickson's experience, fishermen and coast guardsmen reportedly played "hide and seek" with some sort of underwater metallic object with an amber light on it at the mouth of the Pascagoula River. They tried to poke the object; which was close enough to touch with a boat hook, but it would turn off its light, move away to a safe distance, and then turn on the light again. It disappeared after about forty minutes. The US Navy studied the case without reaching a clear conclusion of finding a clear explanation.

Also subsequently, ancient Indian tales from an old 17th century explorer journal were mentioned: spirits of Pascagoula Indians who drowned in the river sere supposed to be heard singing and walking on the water, they were supposed to be those of a group of Indians led by a river goddess who was angry with the conversion of the tribe to christianity in the 16th century. She made the whole tribe march into the river and drown themselves, singing all the while.

March 22, 1973
Grand Tower, Illinois Close Encounter

Did the Piedmont UFO Visit Grand Tower?
The Star-Beacon, Ashtabula, Ohio

Oscar Wills, 57, was an operating engineer at the Central Illinois Public Service Company's power generating station on the Mississippi River at Grand Tower, illinois. He was on duty when another employee, Willis Hughes, a turbine operator, telephoned from his home in Grand Tower to ask Wills to check on something that was hovering over or near the station's 66,000-volt transformer yard.

Wills went out the north door of the power generating station and immediately saw an object approximately 1,500' high over the yard. He estimated the object's size at 25' in diameter (250 yards away). He described the object as a ring of lighted panels or windows with definite spacing between windows, each emitting pulsating light varying from a dark red-to-orange-to-white sequenced in a clockwise rotation like a theator marquee. The pulsations gave the impression the object was spinning clockwise, but the window separators remained stationary. Wills said the object was doughnut-shaped, or more like a wedding band, since only the lighted panels were visible.

Wills walked to within 150 yards of the transformer bank, viewing the object with great curiosity. Then he became a little apprehensive and decided to return to the Power Plant and ask two other employees on duty to come out to witness the phenomenon.

As he retraced his steps, the object which had been hovering directly over the transformer bank, started moving directly toward him, and passed over his head.

As the object darted noiselessly past the northwest corner of the building, he lost sight of it for a moment as the Plant building obstructed his viewing area. He walked rapidly around to the west side of the Plant, facing the Mississippi River, and noted the object was now hovering directly over the middle (No. 2) of the three water pumping station buildings. He walked up to the ramp to the pump station house and on to the sea wall protecting the Plant from the river. He was now again directly under the object. Wills said it would take a circular object 5' in diameter at arm's length to cover it at this point.

After watching for 7 to 8 minutes, the PA system called Wills back to the telephone within the Plant. It was Willis Hughes, who wanted to know what Oscar ould see from his vantage point. Willis cut the conversation short so he and the other two men could go out to view the object.

The object was gone. In 25-30 minutes 3-4 jets made 8-10 sweeps of the area about 2-3 minutes apart. The nearest base is is Scott at Bellville.

"Mexican Tells How He Saw and Photographed a Flying Saucer"

FROM: Inexplicata-The Journal of Hispanic Ufology
By Ana Luisa Cid

Date: 05.12.07-In March 2007 I received several clippings from the "Novedades" newspaper, dated October 26, 1973, from Ing. Hector PÈrez RodrÌguez, making reference to a sighting by Mr. Juan David Mateos Chanfreau, the nephew of (deceased) former Mexican president Lic. Adolfo Lopez Mateos.

According to the publication, the witness gave his story to the press and provided them with a copy of the photo he took with his Polaroid camera. The snapshot was taken while he travelled aboard his car along the road from Ciudad Camargo to Chihuahua (1973).

Ing. PÈrez, who kindly provided me a copy of the clippings he has kept for 30 years, believes that it is possible that Mr. Mateos Chanfreau's experience is possibly related to the Coyame Case, which occurred in the same geographic region and on a date relatively close to that of the alleged crash of a spacecraft in the Chihuahua desert (1974).

In another news item from "Novedades" it is said that six UFOs were seen in the USA, witnessed by over 50 people, among them then-deputy sheriff Jim Taylor of Surrey County.

Transcript of the news item from Novedades, 26 October 1973:
"Mexican Tells How He Saw and Photographed a Flying Saucer"

The existence of flying saucers no longer appears to be a mere invention of people with excessive imagination or feverish minds. When mechanical means - such as photography - are brought into play to determine their reality, only one question remains: where do they come from?

Juan David Mateos Chanfreau, nephew of the deceased former president Adolfo Lopez mateos, has asked himself this question in vain for two months. But the issue of their provenance is secondary, because there is something more important: he knows that they exist, he has seen one of them and has photographed it.

The account he gives NOVEDADES shows the emotion the event produced in him; his satisfaction at the experience surpasses all limits.

Juan David was traveling from Ciudad Camargo to Chihuahua a little over 60 days ago. The day was somewhat hazy but precisely due to the lack of solar reflection, the landscape was clear and placid.

Upon reaching the desert area between Villanueva and the city of Chihuahua, he began to hear a strange sound coming from his car radio. He suddenly looked upward and saw an object suspended in mid-air. He hit the brakes at once. He was invaded by a stupor and cannot remember if he turned off the radio, but he fully recalls the rigidity that took over his limbs for some seconds. He was afraid that something bad would happen to him. However, curiosity won out over prudence and his arm, guided as if by an electric shock, reached for the glove comaprtment where his photo camera rested.

"Before taking it, I had the sensation that someone was keeping me from doing so," he says, "and I grabbed it cautiosly. I felt afraid again, but the anxiety of having proof of what I was seeing won out, and I stepped out of the car."

The craft, which produced a very slight vibration, rotated displaying its colors of orange, purple and red. Parapeted behing his vehicle, he was about to press the shutter. The artifact, which was to the right of the highway at a distance of some 60 meters and an altitude of 20, did not move.

He immediately felt the urge to flee, but some internal sense advised him not to move. Some minutes went by, which seemed like centuries to Juan David. Suddenly the craft began to move. Rising, it tilted until it remained sideways, rising vertically, and taking off at a fantastic speed. He saw no smoke; he was only able to hear an intense vibration that became more painful as the intensity grew. The metal turned into a multitude of dats that rose, blinding his riveted eyes. In a matter of seconds, the saucer was lost to the immensity of space.

Reality took hold and thosands of questions spilled into his mind: where did it come from? Was it terrestrial or not? But among the lack of answers there stood an unquestionable fact: something remarkable had happened and none other than he had witnessed and photographed it. The amazement of the event would suffice - perhaps some day he would find out the rest.

(Translation (c) 2007, S. Corrales, Inexplicata. Special thanks to Ana Luisa Cid and HÈctor PÈrez)

From Timothy Good - Alien Base

'I never thought I would see a flying saucer, much less photograph one,' said Lima architect Hugo Luyo Vega, following the sighting of an unknown flying machine, identical to George Adamski's 'scoutcraft', which Vega photographed on 19 October 1973.

On the day in question,Vega had taken a client into the Lima countryside in search ofa home site. They had driven about 54 miles inland along the Rimac River when they took a break near a valley surrounded by tall hills. Suddenly, Vega told reporters, 'my client, obviously excited, told me he saw a shining object in the bottom of the valley that was advancing towards us extremely slowly.'

The car was not far away. I ran back for my camera, because in that fraction of a second I thought I, too, had seen something interesting. When I pointed my [Polaroid] cameraand took the picture, the object was less than 50 yards away from us and about 20 yards off the ground.

"Suddenly, the object changed direction, headed toward the east and increased its speed. It rose off the ground as if trying to avoid some high-tension wires that came down from the top of one of the hills and crossed the valley, and disappeared from view. It was of the colour of burnished silver [and] shaped like an overturned soup plate with a cupola on top. At the very top of the cupola, there was a round object giving off a fixed, sky-blue light. Lower on the cupola, we could see a row of small windows like port-holes in a ship." On the bottom of the craft was what appeared to be 'the propulsive force of the object. . . a dark red throbbing light that was aimed toward the ground from a sort of turbine in the middle of the upside-down plate. Near the turbine-like part, we could see protuberances like half-eggs.'

The architect said that only about 30 seconds from the time they spotted the object until it disappeared. 'For a moment I didn't actually think the picture would come out all right, for I don't consider myself all that good a photographer, and I was greatly surprised when I saw that it had comeout,' Vega continued. 'All the photo showed was the thing's shape, but at any rate this little piece of evidence is enough to prove that it was a real "UFO" and not an invention of the mind.' It took the witnesses some 20 minutes to recover from their astonishment.

Vega was reluctant to disclose the identity of his client. 'He is a wealthy man who prefers no publicity,' he explained.

October 17, 1973

These "alien" photos have a much more tragic backstory than the Solway Firth snapshot. Why Greenhaw was subjected to the sort of treatment he received has always puzzled me. Of course, we are talking about Alabama here. And before you say anything, let me assure you that this is not mindless prejudice. I grew up in Alabama in the 70s, and no display of ignorance or meanness would surprise me. My prejudice is very well-informed.

FROM The UFO Casebook

Aliens come in all shapes and sizes, from the little green men of Kelly, Kentucky to the 10 foot tall giants of Voronezh, Russia. There has always been discussion about the close encounters of the third kind aliens. Some of these seem to be living, breathing beings, and yet some appear to have characteristics of a robot. One theory readily accepted by investigators is that many of the UFO sightings are of "scout" ships who take exploratory journeys to our planet's surface, while a mother ship hovers some where out of sight. Many propose that these scout ships are occupied by a robotic, mechanical being.

These would be expendable in carrying out experimentation on unwilling humans, and also on our flora and animal kingdom. Many of the earlier stories of alien sightings are "sensationalized," to say the least. But sticking to my own rule of evaluating each case on it's own merits, one report which seems to have merit occurred in Falkville, Alabama on October 17, 1973. This case is unique in some respects, most notably the alien seems to have attributes of both of the above descriptions: a robot looking creature with the running gait of our most talented athletes. This strange account began when Falkville, Alabama police chief Jeff Greenhaw received a phone call from an excited lady who said that she had witnessed a "spaceship" land in an open field not far the town proper. Greenhaw took off like a shot, taking along his trusty Polaroid camera.

Dark had fallen several hours earlier, and the police chief was armed for anything. It would be about 10:00 P.M. when he made it to the location of the alleged landing. After a cursory look around, he found no trace of a spaceship. As Greenhaw continued his search of the area, he was taken aback by the sight of an alien-like creature standing just off the side of the road. The being appeared to be wrapped in aluminum foil as it began to walk toward Greenhaw. "It looked like his head and neck were kind of made together... he was real bright, something like rubbing mercury on nickel, but just as smooth as glass-different angles give different lighting. I don't believe it was aluminum foil."

The tinfoil alien's movements were very "mechanical" like. An antenna was attached to his head. Though in shock, he managed to snap off four pictures of the odd looking alien. When he flicked on his headlights the alien was obviously frightened, as it began to make its escape. Greenhaw immediately took off in his truck in pursuit, but because of the rough terrain of the field, he was only able to manage 35 MPH. The robotic movements of the alien were now in high gear, and it raced across the open field. Greenhaw could not keep up, and the tinfoil being escaped into the night. "He was running faster than any human I ever saw," he stated. Although Greenhaw was exhilarated by the strange encounter, he would soon regret the whole affair. He was mocked and ridiculed by many of the town folk, and he received threatening phone calls. A string of bad luck began to affect his life also.

Whether related to his report or not, his house burned down, and his wife left him. Approximately a month after the incident, the town council fired him. So much for the theory that reports of many UFO encounters are made by individuals who are looking for notoriety or financial gain. Greenhaw would eventually regain some semblance of a normal life, but he would always regret the night he met the tin foil alien.

No comments: